A while ago, when I was working as a Travel Agent, I learned about i-to-i volunteering. They are a company who specialize in volunteer programs, who are globally recognized and have fantastic feedback about them. I have heard so many companies scamming people – including an instance that happened to a friend of mine – so I think it is REALLY important to find a trusted company who are passionate about their projects, who will look after you and make sure you are in a safe environment.
Volunteering isn’t always cheap – but the fee that you pay i-to-i for their programs goes to good use. Over half of it goes towards your accommodation/food/transport while you are there, and the rest going into marketing/administration (which of course is required to run a successful company) and support of their travel experts/24 hour emergency support team.
There are many volunteering trips they run that I would love to be a part of – so I thought I would share a few of their wildlife ones as inspiration!
1/ Live with lion cubs in South Africa
- Feeding and caring for lion cubs
- Helping to look after other the animals at the reserve
- Living in and enjoying life an incredible wildlife reserve
- Participating in game drives on the reserve
2/ Panda conservation near Xi’an, China
- Spending time with Giant Pandas – there are only 1000 left!
- Experiencing China – a huge and mind-blowing country
- Learning some Chinese
3/ Elephant conservation and research in Sri Lanka
- Monitoring wild elephants from a tree house
- Learning all about field work and research techniques
- Recording information on leopard signs and activities
- Working with the local community to investigate & help reduce conflict between humans and animals
- Helping to increase public awareness of the plight of the Asian elephant